Ketchup is the perfect dip for sausage rolls and this homemade healthier tomato ketchup recipe doesn’t contain any of the usual additives. Make your own using fresh tomatoes, red onion and garlic and serve with a few of our sausage rolls.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes approx 400ml
- Wall’s Pastry sausage rolls
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 30g soft brown sugar
- 200g tomato puree
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan, cook the onion, garlic and tomatoes in the olive oil for 10 minutes on a low heat. Season to taste.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and once cooled down, blitz with a handheld blender.
- Press the ketchup through a fine sieve into a paring jug.
- Sterilise a bottle in boiling water for 5 minutes then pour the ketchup into the bottle. Store in the fridge for up to a month.
You can also enjoy this healthier tomato ketchup recipe with Pork Farms’ peppery pork pies.